Monday, April 13, 2015

You Get What You Pay For

In a conversation with a prospective commercial property Seller last week, one of the questions was why use an agent. "Why not just sell it myself?"

I went down through my tried and true list, which I will elaborate on in a future post. He was unconvinced. Mostly, he called me with attitude to start with. I was polite, and reminded him that he had called me. He started haggling about commission. Basically, I came to realize, he wanted and needed assistance but didn't want to pay me for the expert advice he was requesting.

In the end, he said he felt he could do it cheaper himself. Then he started asking me questions . . . ready for this? . . . on how to set up his "for sale" listing.  I decided at that point that he would be best served by another agent, if he can find one he wants to work with.

I concluded with "I wish you well, and if you change your mind please let me know." His reply, a repeated, "I think it will be cheaper to sell it myself."

Well . . .


No comments: